How To Tell The Difference Between Intuition And Your Imagination Or Ego

Effortless Joy - Share!Share on Google+0Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Email this to someone

Mirror image

Check out my August Stress Relief Offer at the bottom of this post
Many times people have difficulty in telling the difference between a genuine intuitive message, impulse or sign and one that is false.  Do you sometimes:

fret over what you’re getting?
dismiss information as “just your imagination”?
feel unsure you can trust what you’re seeing?
think it might just be your ego talking?

Then take heart because the answer is simple.  I see people getting caught up in this and making it a problem all of the time.

So, how can you tell the difference between your intuition and your imagination?

How can you be sure that it’s not your ego?

First, stop thinking for a moment and letting your ego run your show.

That’s it – Just.  Stop.  It.

And, relax.

Just take a deep breath.

I know and you know that you know better, but the worst time to start developing your intuition is when you are in the middle of a crisis or decision, and your emotions get involved.  So, let’s simplify it.

Here Is The Difference Between Your Ego And Your Intuition

Anytime you are facing a decision and have a thought or idea that you’re not sure that you can trust, look at this list.

It’s your Ego if the advice or thought

scares you
makes you fearful
gives you anxiety
comes from obligation or makes you feel obligated
brings up scarcity
feels like lack
feels wrong
is immoral
depresses you when you think it’s the right answer and you’re actually going to have to do it
makes you feel “less than”
brings up jealousy

It’s your intuition if the advice or thought

is exciting
feels positive
is moral
feels right
thrills you when you think it’s the right answer and you’re actually going to have to do it
feels hopeful
does no harm
brings balance
is joyful
is uplifting
is simple

One caveat:

Sometimes you will not be able to make a decision because nothing comes up or nothing feels right.

At those times, do not push it.  Stop asking.  I’ve heard many times that asking the same thing again and again just restarts the process.  Even if it doesn’t, it must be annoying to be on the receiving end.

There are actually times when your intuition feels like it has gone on a holiday and has left you stone cold.

Those Are The Times When You Are Actually Being Guided To Do Nothing.

Don’t worry that your intuition has deserted you.  It hasn’t.  It will come back when the time is right.

The Help Your Spiritual Team Can Give You Lies In Synchronicity and Signs

If you are in doubt in spite of the above, here is a fool proof method to make certain you have read the situation correctly.

Ask your spiritual team to provide you with confirmation that you are on the right track in whatever situation concerns you.  Be specific.  Ask for two signs or a synchronicity to confirm your findings within a specified time frame.  You can tell your team what you are looking for or leave it up to them, but make sure you are crystal clear on what you are expecting.

If you get a message more than once within a day or two (or the time you specify), it’s from your Team.

If you have an impulse through one sense and it is immediately backed up by another sense, it’s from your Team (like you have a thought, and then you get shivers).

Remember your intuition is simply a communication from your spiritual team – your Higher Self, spirit guides, teachers and angels. So…if in doubt, request a synchronistic confirmation and they will be happy to help.

That’s your intuition at work.

Being focused on past events or the future will lead you in the wrong direction.  Focusing your attention on this moment and this moment only will raise your awareness and shift you to where you need to go.

Following my own advice, I asked a question about something that’s been “in the works” for a long time, and whether or not it was in my highest path to continue to pursue it.  I specificially asked for two signs related to the subject at hand to appear within 48 hours, which would be Friday morning.  Yesterday afternoon when I picked up my son at preschool, there was a toy fireman’s helmet set out for each child.  Guess what was printed on the helmet?  That’s right – it was an advertisement for the sponsoring company, which has nothing whatsoever to do with firemen, but exactly to do with my question.  I’ll let you know if a second sign shows up.

************************

August is such a funny month – it’s hot, school is about to start, vacations are being jammed in, and the news is enough to scare the pants off you.  Soon I’ll be starting an email newletter that goes beyond just sending you my most recent weekly post.  I’d like to offer a little August Stress Relief: new email subscribers to A Clear Sign during the month of August will get One Free Brief Intuitive Question And Answer (you can use it now or save it up for when you really need it!)  Click here to see what this is like.  For any current email subscribers, just leave a comment below and you can have the same deal or 10% off Any Intuitive Reading you were planning to order anyway, just because I love you.  Subscribers can ask a question below in the comments or send me a private email to aclearsignonthepath@gmail.com.

Image credit: Proudfoott via Flickr…also it looks like this in my back yard right now

Comments

1. Good reminder! particularly about the times when we get nothing. I have a hard time being patient and waiting, so I need to remember that more than most. Hope you get the sign you are hoping for, keep us posted.

2. Very good job in verbalizing what is, after all, esoteric by its very nature.

3. Even as a practicing intuitive I sometimes doubt myself (not during readings, but when I'm asking questions of/for myself) as to whether or not something is my intuition or imagination. This article is such a great reference point for those of us who have a tendency to doubt ourselves.

I'm looking forward to finding out if your Team gives you another sign! And of course, learning what it is you were asking about!
    My recent post Spiritual Laws and the Universal Laws for Being Human

4. When I'm calm, and relaxed, and have this positive state of mind, then my intuition just works. And after receiving, and passing on intuitive messages, I get the doubt, like "now you can start worrying, as your work is done", and I wonder if I've picked things up until the person that received the messages confirms them as true :).

It's like a sarcastic game with my higher self :P.
    My recent post 8 Rules Of Safe Spiritual Work

5. Hi Lindsay,

My team has a couple of hours left, but so far nothing else has come about! It's about whether or not I should continue to pursue a particular person in business, who keeps making promises but nothing seems to materialize – just wanted to know whether or not to believe him and keep following up.
    My recent post How To Tell The Difference Between Intuition And Your Imagination Or Ego

6. Hi Kara,

Thanks for coming by – I hope the craziness is slowing down for you some? Believe it or not, I just learned about the waiting, in a big way!

7. Hi!
    Thanks for the post! I'm not very expert in getting those differences, so I find the article very interesting.
    Very often I'm wondering if what I'm getting it's my own 'desire', my own mind or ego…and doubted myself…
    It is just not so long that I've started to ask oftenly and so, to pay attention to signals for "answers"…And some times I use a pendulum… But what I find difficult is, as you comment, to put emotions aside.
    But I supposse it is also a question of time, of being attentive and start to feel neutral… So, little by little and with the help of your list…!
    Thanks again!!

8. Sounds good! its contains a great content, Thanks for the reminders.
    My recent post angry birds android

9. AClearSign says:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for visiting – appreciate it. The biggest sign for me is usually the feeling of positive, uplifting excitement vs "oh no, really?"

10. AClearSign says:

Hi Nathan,

I know I've done what I needed to do (passed on the message the team wanted the client to have) when I walk away after pushing the send button and don't think about it again, and then get to be pleasantly surprised when the feedback comes in, in whatever form. For me, if I'm still thinking about the person after the reading is over, then I haven't properly disconnected from their energy and need to do it again. Interesting how you react differently to the same scenario – neat game with HS!

11. Julie — today is resonation day for me (just made up that word…lol) because many articles today have resonated on a spirit level…and yours included. There is really not much for me to say but I do agree with what you have said. If I were to add something…I would probably say "awareness is key and to not always look at the message word for word, but sometimes it can be symbolic" kind of like you said about "sometimes we are guided to do nothing"…so the message may not seem like it is saying anything. I love this flow Julie and your blog is top of my list of favorites 😉

Talk to you soon…Much love and awareness to you!
    My recent post Are You IN the Oven or on TOP of the Stove

12. AClearSign says:

Hi Elisabet,

It's always hardest to do it for yourself – much easier to read for other people! Remember your Ego shows up first and wants to run the show – your intuition is short and sweet. Good luck with it.

13. AClearSign says:

Kenya,

You mean resonation isn't a word? We should submit it to the official dictionary – after all, they included D'oh 🙂 You'll have to share your other favorites just in case I am missing something good.

My middle name is "Symbolic" these days – I totally agree with you there. Maybe we should write a "Human to The Universe" reverse translation dictionary.

14. I have definitely had times when I did not know whether it was my intuition or my ego talking. It would usually happen when I was attached to the outcomes.

15. @AngArtemis says:

Julie,
    I like your post. Good solid information.
    I look forward to hearing what your 2nd sign is.
    My recent post Change Your Vibration and Change Your Life

16. Hey Julie,

I was on my facebook page the other day and one of my friends on there had mentioned how he liked this post. I believe he found it on ezine articles or he came across your site via that site. This is an excellent post and helped me to clear some things up.
    My recent post Numbers, Numbers, and More Numbers

17. AClearSign says:

Hi Evelyn,

Yes, that will do it! Now that you mention it, I'm trying to think of an outcome I was NOT attached to in some way…and I can't! Perhaps that was the problem all along. Thanks for your comment.

18. AClearSign says:

Hey Todd,

That's actually a good idea to submit this one to ezine, since it's more of a ""how to" than what I usually write. Neat that your friend found me there, since I have only one article posted – small world!

19. Hey Julie, LOL, I started my psychic training during the height of my emotional, chaotic, period of my life. It's easier to learn to use our intuition before a crisis occurs.

For me it is easier to stay clear headed and receive intuition when I am calm and relaxed. If I drank coffee than forget about it.
    My recent post Life Has No Meaning

20. personalpower4me says:

Hi Julie,
    I hadn't thought about it that way. I love the "exciting' & "positive " things. Leave the ego aside & bring on more intuition. Thank you.
    be good to yourself
    David

21. Nice post! This is a good distinction between intuition and the ego. This helps us to start following our intuition instead of letting our ego come in the way. Thanks for sharing dear 🙂
    My recent post Why do people give up

22. Well said, Julie. Learning to trust our intuition can take some practice, can't it? After all, most of us have only known our own misguided Self-Talk for the better part of our lives. We must learn to not make our mind a battleground when old thought-voices resist our new recognitions. In such moments we must learn to gently close our eyes and look deep inside, there we will find our intuition waiting to remind us of the truth.
    My recent post An Old Story

23. The key I take from this post is that your intuition can give you steps towards your success that are "simple." I can't tell you how many times I've gotten into conversations with people of diverse background and age groups only to have this questions stop our discussion cold:

"WHY IS EVERYTHING SO COMPLICATED?!?!?!?!"

Thanks for this post. It is a cool breeze in the midst of a steaming hot reality that won't let up!
    My recent post Help me REDEFINE Success

24. kdivasilver says:

Thank you for your post, Julie. I'm in a major period of transition and am not sure where I'm going, and a few weeks ago I suddenly realized that all the blogs/newsletters I follow had the same message: Let go of expectations. I've been trying to push toward something but don't have a clear vision, so now I'm working to let go of expectations and invite in what happens, instead of demanding it show itself. It's not easy…

25. AClearSign says:

Thanks, Angela. You know, I never got a second sign, really. There was one one hat left the next morning and I got the message "later." So, I'm putting the brakes on that one for now and continuing to do what I was doing 🙂

26. AClearSign says:

Justin, Oh, so did I. that's how I know it to be true! I've decided that coffee just enhances the intuitive flow, if only because I can't do without either one 🙂

27. AClearSign says:

Thanks, David. That's actually how I started this blog and doing intuitive readings – it's something that I found to be exciting and positive. You know you are on the right track when things all align to help you keep going in that direction.

28. AClearSign says:

Dia, thank you for stopping by! Ego can be helpful sometimes but when trying to access our intuition it sure does get in the way if we don't tell it to be quiet.

29. AClearSign says:

Hi Rob, thanks for coming by. You are right. Trusting intuition can be a scary thing when our ego is screaming at us to run the other way or telling us,"No! No!" I do find that my intuition has brought me to some very new and exciting places and I am glad I figured that out while I still have some time left 🙂

30. AClearSign says:

Hi Jermaine, I love what you and Frank are doing at your blog and I am always honored when you guys come by here and post a comment 🙂

If you distill it down to intuition, everything is quite simple. That doesn't mean it is Easy. Or not Scary! When my mind is racing and I have a devil's advocate response for every idea anyone gives me (if I do This then what about That), I do what Rob said above in the comments. Just get quiet and listen. I imagine in your work it can be quite a challenge to get people to see their own truth, but you know, sometimes it's not your job even when they come to you for advice – you just can offer what you know, and your work is done.

31. Hello
    Very interesting post, when ever we go into the world of the id and ego it raises questions. you done a good jobs in writing this post
    My recent post 12 self growth Lesson’s from Naruto

32. AClearSign says:

Kathleen, Thank you for the comment and I hope the reading helped shed some light.

33. AClearSign says:

Lloyd, Thank you so much for the visit and the comment. I look forward to reading your blog.

34. Definitely i admire you post, everyday mind, which does have a wild part to its imagination. The louder the voice the more likely it’s going to be your ego speaking, trying to dictate ultimate outcomes in order to avoid feeling any sort of pain. Intuition likes to speak the truth, no matter how uncomfortable that might be. It’s based in reality and not wishful or negative thinking.
    My recent post play angry birds online

35. AClearSign says:

Yes that EGO sure is LOUD! Also, first one in the door, every time 🙂

36. Hello, I am a new subscriberan just today, and I'm going through your posts and lovin' them.

I do have a question for the brief reading. It is regarding my job. Should I pursue a new job? Maybe a new career?

37. Hi there. I'm a new subscriber. I started getting this odd feeling for the last few weeks that my ex Sam would be contacting me soon. He was my soulmate/twin flame. He left 2yrs ago and I haven't heard from him since July of 2010. I don't know why I never felt it was really over but now I feel he's going to contact me soon. Like by the end of this year. Is this just my crazy thinking or is this my intuition kicking in?

38. Thank you Julie. This is the exact question that I have been asking myself every morning during my meditations. I love how you’ve simplified it in to two very distinct – if it brings joy, it’s right, if not it’s ego -and most importantly I really like that you end with the ‘permission’ to just do nothing. Sometimes I’ve been known to beat myself up so much over doing nothing – even when it seems like the most ‘right’ thing to do.
    Li-ling recently posted..Practising Gratitude From a Place of Fear and LackMy Profile

39. Julie, I have been following Joy for a while now and truely enjoyed your interview. I will be following you on FB now. and looking foward to learning and experiancing even more intitution in my life.

40. Hi Rosemary, thank you so much for stopping by and joining me on Facebook!

Trackbacks

1. […] For a quick guide to pointers on how to know if you are just fooling yourself, refer to my article How To Tell The Difference Between Intuition And Your Imagination or Ego.  […]